Friday, July 13, 2007

Beachy Keen

So, we're back now from a really fun week-long trip to the Outerbanks. We went with Ben's parents and siblings to a fun beach house in Corolla, North Carolina and had a blast. My kids loved playing in the sand, searching for shells, boogie boarding, jumping waves, driving on the beach (um, they were passengers in the SUV we drove on the beach), seeing the wild horses that roam free and have sanctuary there, and of course spending time with everyone.

Here are some fun pictures from our vacation adventures:





















These pictures were all taken by my sister-in-law, Suzanne. My laptop battery is deader than a door nail, and will no longer take a charge, so I need to get a new one. I haven't loaded pictures onto this dinosaur of a desktop that I am using, and Ben was on a business trip for a few days, so I haven't had a chance to load pictures that we took onto a computer yet.

While Ben was on his business trip, a baby bird fell into our window well. It was unhurt, but didn't know how to get back out. Its parent birds were freaking out and kept flying over to the window well and chirping at it. I called Brooke to come over to help me handle the situation. I tied a jump rope to a beach pail and lowered it into the window well. Brooke went down to the basement and opened the window of the window well to help guide the bucket toward the baby bird. Well, of course you can guess what happened next. Yes, the baby bird flew right into the guest room much to the amusement of Maddie and Andrew who were also in there. The bird wasn't old enough/strong enough/smart enough to fly much higher than two feet or so. Brooke was able to capture it safely and release it into our back yard.

A few years ago, when Maddie was still three, Brooke called me to send Maddie over to help her get a bird out of their basement. When I was eight, my mom shut me in the basement of our old house and wouldn't let me come out until I had successfully chased a huge crow out of the unfinished basement and back through the garage. Well, let's just say that was a terrifying experience. However, I can totally see myself locking Maddie in the basement to chase a bird out. Apparently it had been my fault the crow was in the basement, because I had failed to shut the garage door or some lame reason like that. Few things are as nerve-wracking as trying to chase or corral a nervous and flighty bird through the house.

I have more stories and such for another post, so once I am able to transfer my pictures from the memory card to the computer there will be another post on its way.

8 comments:

rachel said...

I love your bird story. We almost stay at corrolla. How funny. Next time maybe. Well I guess your dad went to our cabin and my parents kept asking me which beach we went to and kept telling the wrong beach to your dad like over and over. I swear parents don't listen especially mine. but if there friends told them a beach they would remember it forever. Hopefully we can get our parents to get houses for all of us next year. My parents totally want to. So work on your dad.

MEG said...

Is that really a body glove snuggli? I need one of those!

Looks like you had a blast! I will try not to be jealous!

Miller Family said...

looks like so much fun! I can totally see how going to head to head with a crow would be completely terrifying! So you might think this is weird but do you care if I add your blog link to my blog. I love your blog b/c you are such a great writer and I am getting sick of typing in the address :).

Anonymous said...

Great pix and love the bird story! Your childhood story sounds a little Hitchcock, yes? We, too, recently had a bird in the house story. I actually heard my 6'2" husband scream like a little girl when it flew at him.

Heather and Dave said...

I love the photos...beach trips are the best...I can't believe Mylie is almost a year old. She is such a doll. Stinks about your computer, but it'll be so nice for you to get a newer one. That's pretty strange that you have so many "bird-in-the-house" stories...pretty unusual, yet scary. Brooke was brave to do that, although I do pretty much anything Megan tells me to do...haha Sisters are the greatest. We just got back from Newport on Saturday, so I'll have to update my blog with fun photos from the trip! Miss you!

Weed Family said...

What fun pictures and what a fun trip to the beach! Eric and I have not been on a vacation since our honeymoon. Your kids are the cutest. We are so excited to see you guys next month, also. I am sure Max would love, love, love to play with all the kids.

The Carlsons said...

I can totally relate to your story buy mine was no bird, it was a chipmunk. Glad you had a blast at the beach!!!! Audrey

Anonymous said...

Your pictures make me want to pack my bags and head off to the beach! I love the outerbanks. When we lived in Ohio we tood a trip out there and it was splendid! Can't wait for the next installment.