Friday, July 18, 2008

Yay July!

Well, I've fallen off the band wagon when it comes to enforcing the elaborate summer routines that I had painstakingly created for my family. If only it truly were the thought that counts. The daily pool trips I had envisioned are definitely more occasional than regular. We've made it to the library twice. Both visits were short-lived thanks to a special young boy whose name begins with the letter Z. Ah, he is special in so many ways...

We have had fun taking advantage of the weekly free kids movies at the local theaters.

My children are up to their usual tomfoolery. The casualities this week include two bottles of windex, five or six light bulbs, a glass pane from one hideous 80s light fixture, the kitchen floor, Mylie's eyes (one of the boys "accidentally" squirted her in the face with dish soap, and yes, the swelling has gone down and we believe she can still see), a fairly new pair of jeans that had the back pockets entirely removed with scissors by a little rat named Andrew before he donned them in a fashion statement that I have yet to appreciate, etc, etc, etc.

Ben's mom just got back from a trip to Utah, which gave her just enough time to forget the naughtiness that four little kids can concoct (they're like MacGyver, give them some toothpaste, a plastic spoon, a paper clip, three cheetos, and an eraser and just watch the magic that ensues). Anyway, all FOUR of my kids slept over at Grandma's last night and are playing on the big inflatable waterslide in her backyard until about 3 this afternoon.

I will spend the brief time apart from them on such joyous activities as vacuuming, getting another estimate on what it will cost to repair our roof, enjoying the freedom of putting away laundry without fear of what danger and destruction lurks in the silence, grocery shopping without an additional eight arms loading the cart with nonessentials, and getting ready for Mylie's birthday party.

Mylie turns two on Saturday. It is a milestone for both of us. As exciting as it must be for Mylie to turn two, it is equally exciting for me to go for an entire two years without being pregnant. This is the first time I've gone so long without expecting a new little one in my entire marriage. While I am not entirely ready to say I'm done having kids, I am very ready to enjoy some time to let the chaos die down a bit first.

Here are some pictures of my kids (and some with Brooke's kids) so far this July:







7 comments:

megan&steve said...

Wow, Allie another great post! 4th of July looks like a hit at your dads house. Everyone looks so patriotic! I'm glad Bens mom gave you a night off! I hope when Steve finishes his 10 weeks again in December, that I can see a lot more of you! (he doesn't start until Oct)

Melodrama Mama said...

I always have visions of granduer of how I will spend 'free' time with my kids. It seldom happens.

I love the kid drama at your house!

Chris said...

Your kids are so cute (Brooke's too) I love the bike parade. I always thought that would be fun to do with the kids.

alexandra said...

aLLIE, we ahve moved out to your neck of the woods, roughly. I would love to get together sometime. I saw Alicia at Costco the other weekend and we talked about you. Jess will be back in 2 weeks, and then she will have 100 weekends before they move again, so if you get her early she may be willing to spend some with nonfamily members!

Miller Family said...

Your posts are always the best, such adventures! I do really like Ashburn, maybe we'll make the switch! It would sure make visits a little easier for Jess & Tay.

Rachael said...

Oh, how I've missed reading about your kids' tomfoolery. I'm glad you got a break - hopefully it wasn't all buggered down with 'have-tos'.
And seriously? Why bother making elaborate plans and charts? I went so far as to chart it out on a calendar. What on EARTH was I thinking??? But in my head, it's all going to come together just so...

Lauren said...

Adorable pictures - you are lucky to have such a nice mother-in-law. It is my dream to have an entire weekend alone in my house with no kids!!

I love how spirited your kids are - they will have soo many great childhood memories!!

xo