Ben was working on priming one of the walls when his cell phone rang and it was a prospective employer calling to give him a first interview over the phone. I was putting laundry away and was unaware of the fact that while Ben was walking into our room so he could avoid the noise of the kids to take his interview call, Zack was seizing the opportunity to play with paint.
I am no longer surprised to walk into the hallways or rooms of my home to be greeted by curiosity gone awry. This time I followed white primer specks and drips on the carpet, the walls, the wood floor, pieces of furniture here and there, until I found Zachary hiding under a primer covered kitchen table. He had primer all over his face, arms, and legs. "Don't come near me, I am a Paint Monster!!!" he warned me. My camera battery was dead, so there are no pictures to document the Paint Monster's reign of terror.
Interestingly enough, the primer came off far more easily from the carpet, walls, and wood floor than it did from Zachary himself. He spent thirty minutes in the tub soaking and having me scrub him with a wash cloth and it still isn't all off of him.
Yesterday, Andrew, Zack, and Mylie were all throwing up. I would rather be cleaning today's paint/primer fiasco than deal with the cleaning I got to do yesterday.
Zachary was sent to me to teach me patience. I don't know if I am getting any more patient as I raise him, but I have gained a greater understanding of cause and effect. For example, if you leave a can of Fresca in the same room as your laptop, then Zack will give your laptop a drink. If you leave kitchen chairs in the kitchen, then Zack will use them to gain access to the fridge and drop multiple cartons of eggs onto the floor. If he has poured 98% of the contents of a gallon of milk onto the floor and you are laying across the floor to absorb it before it seeps under your cabinets, he will realize you can't move and pour out the last 2% of the 2%. If you abandon the primer to take a job interview phone call, you will be greeted by the Paint Monster. I have also learned that if you tell Zack you love him, he will give you a big hug and kiss.
Our Christmas card pictures were a bust this year. Thus, we aren't going to be sending a card out this year. Do stay tuned for a Christmas post that is filled with 100% Christmas card picture rejects. What can I say, we tried!
Oh what the heck, here is a quick preview...
8 comments:
I'm glad you attempted a Christmas card. Good luck with the transistion of Bens office into a bedroom.
Zach sounds creative with his paint monster ideas, but man... what a hassle the clean up is for you.
Allie, sometimes I think you're living my life about 15 years ago...just substitute Jennifer for Zach and all the crazy situations they have in common. Around that time, Mark had been through 5 jobs so he finally started his own business. Ben is welcome to talk to Mark anytime for ideas. It all works out in the end, just keep in mind, if it hasn't worked out-then it isn't the end.
I'm really glad you took your blog off of private, not that I couldn't have written an email asking for permission, but I kept trying to see it, would only get as far as the sign in page, say "dangit!" to myself, remind myself I needed to send an email to you, then forget it all over again. I know what you mean about living at light speed. With the first pregnancy I was on pins and needles waiting, with this one, I beg that time will drip by at turtle pace. I wonder sometimes too if I'm actually getting better at being patience, or just realizing more and more my inability to attain it. Oh well.
You got about as far as we did with our Christmas pics, too. ;)
What I meant was that life is moving hyper speed for us, when I only wish it would slow down just a tiny bit...
Oh my gosh. I honestly do not know how you do it. You must be super mom because I'd probably be hiding the closet, trying to get away from the chaos, day after day. I seem to be unable to handle the chaos of just TWO kids, let alone four!
Your kids are so cute. I think the second pic would have made a perfect Christmas card picture :) Good luck painting and job hunting!
One day, these will be the Christmas pictures that your kids most want to see.
Miles would follow Zachary around on his adventures ALL day if he could.
Tears of laughter are running down my cheeks and yet I am afraid that this post is one that I will be writing in the all to near future. Zach and Liam sound like one of a kind.
Post a Comment