While we were in Florida we took part in the Disney World Half Marathon. It was so much fun! Since I am not a runner, I did a lousy job of training. Any excuse that could enter my mind to stave of running was utilized. Thus, we arrived with Ben fully trained and me just trying to get as far as I could before they kicked me off the course. You have to keep a pace of 16 minute miles for the entire 13.1 mile course, which is easy for all of you I'm sure, but a death march for someone like me. Anyway, the half-marathon was so much fun and I totally want to TRAIN and do one again. We made it beyond eight miles, before a police motorcade blocked the path and ushered us (and lots of others) onto a bus. People had been getting picked off the course since mile 2, so I was surprised to make it as far as I did. Ben was a very good sport to stick with me and forego his medal, which he had trained for and could have easily won. He wins the good husband award. He was frustrated that we missed the ability to keep going by less than 30 seconds, and we had stopped for so many pictures with characters in the Magic Kingdom that we definitely ate more than 30 seconds on photo ops, but it will be fun to have pictures...
Maddie has had an awesome past two days. Yesterday, she was invited for a very special date with her uncle Josh. Maddie will never forget the surprise Josh gave her when he scored last minute awesome seats to the Disney 'Kids Inaugural: We are the Future' concert. She was in heaven watching Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Corbin Bleu, Bow Wow, and the Jonas Brothers. She also got to see Jamie Fox, Queen Latifah, George Lopez, Lucy Lu, Usher, and others. The whole show was broadcast live on the Disney Channel, and Maddie and Josh were shown several times in the audience only three or four rows from the stage.
Here is a nice shot of the tv that Ben took with his camera as we watched the concert on tv. Maddie is wearing a green fleece standing next to Josh in his glasses. Despite the look of indifference on their faces, they were excited to be there.

You would think that would be enough for a little eight year old to absorb. However, Grandfather Lee invited her to watch the inauguration with seated tickets on the Capitol. Rough life, eh? So, sure enough up amongst the past presidents, and the Obamas, sat Maddie in a seat in the freezing cold.



Andrew, my ultra-sensitive child, came up crying during the inauguration about how sad he was that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr had been killed. I am grateful that my entire life, and to a greater extent the life of my children, involves no personal memory of segregation. The idea of someone being killed because of their dream and their race is so upsetting and foreign to Andrew, which is a good thing, it means progress is being made in our country. What a wonderful time to grow up in America.
12 comments:
What a great post! I am still so impressed with your 8 miles! I wouldn't have made it 1! Maddie is a very lucky girl and I am jealous of her charmed life! I am so proud of Andrew and have to admit that I wept some tears of joy while watching the inauguration and knowing that brody will never know of an America where it would be unusual. Or out of the ordinary to have an African American president.
I love everything about this post...except Maddie's squirrel face, that is AWFUL!!!
What a fun and exciting life you guys are leading now that we aren't there to slow you down!
Amazing job on the 1/2 marathon...you made it further than I would ever make it so kudos to you! What a trooper of Ben to stick by his cute wifey! How cool that Maddie could be part of this amazing day. I hope she never forgets it! Your posts always make me so happy! Yay for your cute kids and yay for Uncle Josh and DBL!!!
What a fun January you guys are having! We watched the Disney concert and are impressed that Josh and Maddie were there.
Wow! Never a dull moment! Disneyworld sounded awesome. Ben definately wins the husband award. I'm glad you two stuck together.
Maddie enjoyed lots of entertainment & that was so cool they were on tv!
your pictures from Disney are awesome!!!! Maddie totally got HOOKED UP! and how cool that Ben got to meet Pres. Uchdorf! that's so cool!
Oh, and that Maddie got to go to the concert...I totally love Camp Rock and i love Demi Lovato! :D
Congratulations on making 8 miles! Every mile counts.
That is soo cool that your kids got to go to go to inauguration - both the swearing in and the concert.
What an amazing memory - I was totally missing living the the DC area this weekend.
What absolute fun! Disneyworld, the marathon, the Disney Inauguration party and the Inaug. itself! What amazing opportunities and memories. And I LOVE the "Mormons for Obama" shirt. We have a lovely mug and magnet we like to display :)
How fun! I love that picture of Maddie and Josh on the TV.
Hello beautiful. Good to see you and your family. We have moved to Alaska since I wrote last. A goal for 2009 is to update our blog every Sunday to help keep everyone in the lower 48 updated. Check us out. zalits.blogspot.com
Ben does win the good husband award! Justin and I have done two official athletic events together. The first was a 67 mile bike ride for the MS Society. He said goodbye to me at the starting line. The second, a 100 mile bike ride, he stayed with me for about 3 blocks, and then I rode the other 9 hours by myself. (He finished in 5 hours.)
By the way, I highly recommend biking. It has everything over running--like it doesn't hurt your knees and your lungs, you can go fast, and it is actually fun. Just a thought...
Post a Comment