Cabin fever can lead to delusions. When you are snowed in for almost two weeks with your family, this is not the time to decide to take on many projects. Especially not many simultaneous projects. That being said, the boys basement bedroom is looking good. The walls and trim and door have all been painted. The bunk beds have been transformed into two separate twin beds. A new dresser from IKEA has been brought in, assembled, and filled up. Two new lamps from Target now adorn the new dresser. A dresser that had previously been in my closet has made its way down to the boys room as well. Progress is being made.
However, their old red dressers and the two desks that had been in their room and their red bookshelf did not make the final cut for reintroduction back into the room. They are part of what has become a temporary furniture graveyard in the basement family room. There they join another newly disowned bookshelf, another dresser, another desk, and an old (and quite large) television all of which need to find their way to craigslist asap. Oh, and I can't forget an enormous rolling, black leather massage ready office chair that can recline and is quite fabulous, but that my children spin around and use as a battering ram of death, which also needs to be rehomed.
During all of this commotion, I felt it would be a good idea to clean out the coat closet. Hindsight is 20-20. The main level still hasn't fully recovered from mission Coat Closet Clean Out. It's embarrassing. Anyone need some outgrown shoes and outgrown coats? How about a bodyglove wetsuit size 2T? Yeah, we don't either...
I then decided that we should tackle our walk-in closet in the master bedroom. EVERYTHING came out of it. You name it, it was probably in that closet. The Container Store had their ELFA closets on sale, and we decided to redo our closet using their storage systems.
The closet rehab involved us pulling out the existing basic rod and shelf from our closet, then repairing the drywall, then painting the closet, then Ben assembled the new closet system. One for his side of the closet and one for mine. They're finally up and I love them. However, during the days that this project was going on, the contents of our closet ended up on our floor, in our bathroom, in the upstairs hallway, on the loft, and clogging up Maddie's closet and hanging from the top of her canopy bed. She was equally as eager for the project to end as we were. She was still in the process of moving her stuff back upstairs from the basement bedroom.
During all of these endless projects (yes, several of them have not yet ended), I teeter back and forth from "light at the end of the tunnel" to "what the heck was I thinking?" My regular household chores got majorly backed up during all the other projects. Perhaps the lowest point, was when Maddie emerged from the shower to inform me she was out of clean underwear. When your daughter needs to sleep in the bottom of her tankini swimsuit, while you rush to do her laundry and get it dried before she wakes up in the morning, it's not such a great feeling.
Oh well...
For the first time in weeks, the kids are all back to school without any weather delays or cancellations and it is heavenly, and I have a new closet and the boys have a nice new bedroom.
Just don't drop by unannounced for the next several days....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Way to go! And I want pictures. Just angle the camera so we can't see the floor:).
Good luck with craigslist & selling your goods. I found a great couch the other week & STeve hauled it away in his truck.
I also cleaned out closets, and sometimes you can sell things to Platos closet (teenager type of store) or Kid to Kid (kids consignment) BUT... I don't think you really have time for that :)
Wow - yes photos to follow these huge projects would be fabulous. I think I had to sleep in swim suit bottoms growing up too. Maybe because I had a late night swim though and was too lazy to change? Can't wait to see the boys room, coat closet and your fab new closet :) I wish you lived closer, I'm in the market for 2 new dressers and a bookshelf. I would've gladly taken them off your craigslist post :)
oh nightmare! glad order has finally been restored with the kids at school. i wish we lived closer so we could take that office chair off your hands! we need one!
Oh Allie I feel your pain. I wish this weather would warm up and the kids could be in school M-F again.
Way to go on all that cleaning. You are always cleaning and changing up your house. My house looks like a museum right now so some mess actually sounds nice. I can't wait for my house to sell so we can live again.
Post a Comment