Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Freedom and boundaries

Every day there is something new to learn and discover when you are 19 months old. Recently, we allowed Mylie to graduate from her crib. Once the crib was disassembled and sold, Mylie spent almost two weeks in a Graco port-a-crib, because we decided that alas perhaps we weren't quite ready for all that the transition from crib confinement entails. However, this week we decided it was time to bite the bullet and let her learn to sleep in her toddler bed.

She is quite content to lie down on the bed while she is drinking her bottle or occasionally if she is watching a show. However, it is nearly impossible for her to not cave into her instinctive desire to explore and demolish.

This morning Mylie seemed tired and ready for her nap. After about fifteen minutes I decided to peek in on her hoping to find a darling dozing toddler on her comfy cozy toddler bed. Instead, I found her sitting on her little, child-size pink wicker chair in the corner by the window, with half her body covered by the blinds, as she looked into the back yard. She was singing in jubilant gibberish to herself. I then surveyed the damage of my one girl wrecking crew and realized that she had crawled under Maddie's bed (which has about an 18 inch high unobstructed storage space for the entire length beneath the bed) and she discovered all of Maddie's special things which had been put there to be out of Mylie's sight. The room was strewn with dozens of Maddie's books and doll clothes.

Mylie was happy to see me and extremely pleased with her fifteen minutes of hard work in her room.

She survived the entire day today without a nap, but almost killed me off in the process. Sometimes she is able to figure out how to climb into her bed and sleep and sometimes she isn't. She hasn't mastered that we usually keep our head up by the headboard on the pillow quite yet.

Here is the classic learning to use a toddler bed pose that I have of all four of my kids as they learn to use a bed:




I do feel it is necessary to mention that all of those books and clothes and stuffed animals had been put away when I left Mylie in her room. She just likes to make it her business to undo all of the cleaning I do during the day. She is very efficient and can undo an hours work in less than five minutes.

Then there are those nights when she nails it and gets entirely onto the bed with her head on the pillow and she remains that way until morning and I think she's finally got it.

Then there are nights like tonight, when I go into check on her and I find this scene:


All of these items on the floor had previously been in the clothes bin, which Mylie has now turned into her own personal make shift (albeit 'hobo-esque') crib. Curiosity at its finest:





Oh well, whatever works...

14 comments:

Heather and Dave said...

Oh, Mylie! You are quite the mischievous little hobo! Allie- You got rid of the crib? Are there really no more children in your future? 2 girls and 2 boys is a good combo though!

Rachel Kirkham said...

that is the greatest thign I have ever seen. You have to wonder what goes through her mind when she finally decides to settle in to a laundry basket. Hoorah for you and keeping your sanity!

Rachel Kirkham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Allie,
I so enjoy your blog and reading about your current mothering adventures! Yes, it is fun to be able to laugh and try to stay sane! Mylie's basket looked very comfortable! Glad you are feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is the cutest thing EVER!

alexandra said...

Allie, I don't think I could believe it if you didnt have photographic proof! That is so funny. I often wonder about the point at which sleep finally overtakes them. In her own bed with a pillow, sleep is far away, but somehow inside a plastic bin flat on her back, she can finally relax and drift off. Hilarious. I had to laugh at her instictive desire to explore and demolish. And yet she is so cute and angelic-looking!

The Carlsons said...

To bad when they are asleep they look so cute and you just can't be so frustrated anymore!

Miller Family said...

all of those pics were great! especially love her asleep in the laundry basket. I'm thinking I might keep Elle in the crib for a few more months (at least until she starts trying to crawl out).

megan&steve said...

Whatever works is right. Cute Mylie draped across the bed or in the hamper. Hahah.. I love it!

Melodrama Mama said...

Too funny! I graduated Allison from a crib when she was 13 months old - because that was when I had another baby (unplanned). It actually worked quite well as she was too young to realize that getting out of bed was a viable option. And I agree. What ever works.

Rachael said...

Which is better: your photographic proof or your commentary...? So enjoy...and she it soooo cute. It's hard to believe one little human could cause so much destruction and mayhem, isn't it?

Mugs said...

Allie. I LOVE your blog. Even little stuff you say kills me. This post - the pictures, and your description of events - is awesome.

I love that little Mylie. She and Miles are so similar. Even close in age. Hey, have you ever considered?...hmmmm....Mylie and Miles!? Why is this the first time I thinking about this! Have you thought about it?? It's a perfect arrangement.

Lauren said...

There seems to be a pattern with this little one in your blog! I love mischievous kids - they are so free and happy. A good friend of mine at church Caitlin Creer (I don't know her maiden name) says you guys are family friends. When she asked me if I knew you all I could think of were fun memories, mostly laughing and with Jessica Smith. Aren't you glad we had a few carefree years before we committed to parenting?

rachel said...

That is so funny. hey your right what ever works. I can't believe you have no one in a crib how nice is that.