Anyway, in an effort to keep Sundays a little calmer around our house (i.e. no battles over the remote, tv show, etc) we have placed a ban on watching tv before church on Sundays. Andrew has tried to wiggle around this rule by asking if he can just watch "The Jesus Channel." I don't know if that is even a real channel, but if it existed, Andrew would know.
While I was preparing my Relief Society lesson, I asked Ben to do something together with the kids so that A) they didn't turn on the tv, B) they didn't interrupt me, and C) didn't do anything to themselves or each other that would involve a trip to the ER (I have better ways to spend my money...)
I could hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD (that I purchased in attempt to bring a little more calm into the day) playing down in the kitchen. The rest of the family seemed to be having a great time downstairs.
About 20 minutes later, or so, I hear a little tap-tap-tappety-tap on my bedroom door. It was Andrew. He had the need to check in on me and to inform me that they had learned to play a new game with Maddie's Bunny cards. I had no idea what he was talking about, but I figured it must be some card game that someone gave Maddie for Easter. I was impressed that Ben and the kids were having some good quality family togetherness time downstairs. It was encouraging that they were all getting along and that the tv was off, and that Ben was teaching them that there are ways to have fun as a family while still keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.
I went downstairs to get something a short while after Andrew had gone back down. There they all were in the living room. Mylie was diving off the arms of the sofa onto the sofa cushions and having a grand time. Andrew, Zack, Maddie and Ben were each positioned at different sides of the square coffee table and they each held cards in the shape of a pink Easter Bunny head. Everyone was smiling and laughing, and I was once again very encouraged that perhaps as parents we were finally doing something right.
Maddie says, "Look I found my pink bunny cards! Aren't they awesome!"
Andrew says, "We're having so much fun. Dad taught us how to play this great game!"
Zack says, "Yeah, it's called Black Jack!"
Ben gives Zack the evil eye.
So, their quality family togetherness time that I had been so thrilled with actually just involved my husband teaching our kids how to play Black Jack with pink bunny cards on the Sabbath.
Hey, maybe next Sunday Ben, his evil eye, and I can take our four little kids to Sin City and watch'em put those new skills to good use!
On another religious note, today I found this in the car:
It is a who-knows-what that Jessie got on a spring break years ago when she was in high school and she went on a cruise with my Dad and Josh. It is a little hot pink cup or candle holder or something that has a Princess Cruise logo on it. Just another piece of junk that Maddie must have considered treasure when she looted Jessie's old room a few weeks back.
Anyway, I was asking Andrew to help me gather up some trash from the car as we were getting out of it. Among other things, I picked up the cup thing.
Andrew, in a pained and shocked voice breathes, "Not the Jesus cup! You can't throw away the Jesus cup! That isn't trash!!!!!"
I am trying to process what he is talking about and look at the stuff I am holding. I still have no clue what he is freaking out about.
He grabs the hot pink mini-whatever it is from the cruise and holds it like it is exceedingly precious.
"MOM!!! This is NOT trash!!! This is one of Jesus's cups from his party! You know, from that big dinner party he had, when they took that picture!"
Hmmmmm..... I suppose that dinner party Andrew is referencing may have been, in fact, the last supper. This must have been the picture that was taken at that party, according to Andrew:

However, upon close inspection, you will notice that there are no cups of any kind in this image. Perhaps this was a later cover up by the Princess Cruiseline to throw people off their trail? Here is an image of the Grail before Princess Cruiseline got their hands on it, sprayed it hot pink, shrunk it and defiled it with their logo:

How do you suppose Princess Cruiselines got a hold of such a sacred item?! Better yet, how much do you think I can get for it on eBay? Maybe I'll just take it in my suitcase when we head to Vegas to exploit the kids new card skills and sell it directly to a casino so they can keep it on display...
7 comments:
Allie, your mother's day post is beautiful. Not that i don't love knowing your family plays poker on Sunday, but I love your mother's day post. I'm sorry that you didn't get your mom for long enough.
Ha. oh Allie, how did your lesson turn out?
Ben & the kiddos with their bunny cards seems like some life skill learning! The Jessie princess cruiseline cup is hilarious.
gee, maybe you should send Andrew to my house to see what treasures he could unearth from my trash so that I can make some extra cash too! I'm sure my kids have pocketed equally valuable items from dads. Bracken did find a stow-away Lego (or as he said, mini unifix cube) from dads in his shorts pocket the other day. What child doesn't know what Lego's are? Who are his parents?
Ha ha! Awesome post Allie! I was thoroughly entertained, as usual.
Oh I love how dramatic Andrew can be...and also funny that Maddie raided Jess's room. I'm sure there are lots of fun, old trinkets in there. I'm impressed Ben knows Black Jack so well that he has the patience to teach small children how to play. Has he considered being a dealer in Vegas?? jk.
This is so hilarious. The Jesus Channel, the Jesus Cup . . . at least your kids love Jesus!
Allie, I love you! You help remind me that I am normal. That my kids are normal (in that they drive me nuts and I still love them when they are sleeping mostly). You are the BEST!
Post a Comment