Friday, May 01, 2009

Probably not what you were expecting


Driving home from the gas station yesterday, six-year-old Andrew sat in the back looking out the window at the rain. I love it when he lets me in on his thoughts.

"Mom," he asked very seriously from his booster seat in what we refer to as 'the back back', "how do grown ups remember to buy the really important grown up stuff when they turn into grown ups?"

Intrigued, I asked him what he meant by "really important grown up stuff."

"Well, you know what I mean, Mom. The first most important thing that grown ups need to buy is a Jesus picture to hang in their house so that they always remember him. Then, after that, I guess a car..."

I am so relieved to know that I have two of the most important grown up things to buy when you turn into a grown up. But how did I remember to buy them?

Also, let me take a moment to say that my prayers were answered this week. Our AC stopped working over the weekend. It was in the upper 80s and really uncomfortably roasty toasty in our house. Every year of our marriage we seem to hit some sort of AC catastrophe. In fact, when we were living in an apartment and Maddie was two and Andrew was a few months old, our A/C was out for multiple weeks one hot summer and kept melting into our carpet making a damp, dank, hot, mildewy nightmare. We had the service people come on multiple times only to tell us there was nothing wrong with our AC unit. It turned out the apartment above ours had the problem and it kept draining into ours and freezing ours up, or something like that....

...Anyway, the thought of being cooked alive in my home was dreadful. However, the thought of paying a repair guy $75+ just for a diagnostic visit, then parts and labor on top of that seemed equally dreadful.

I prayed. I prayed. I prayed. Ben decided to open the upstairs bedroom windows to let air into the house. The pollen count outside was obscenely high, and the open bedroom window allowed the pollen count inside my bedroom to become obscenely high. So, between the hellish hayfever symptoms, the hellish temperature in the house, and the prospect of a large amount of money to lose to a repairman, I prayed.

Then an answer to my prayers came. That answer, lo and behold was, "Look it up on google and fix it yourself."

So that is what I did. And, that is what I did.

My life was saved by answered prayers and highspeed access to Google.

Nothing is cooler than having your AC working again!


7 comments:

Heather and Dave said...

Wow, that's inspiring. Way to go Allie! You remind me so much of your mom in the way you talk, Totally upbeat, happy, positive and practical.

megan&steve said...

Allie,
we also had ac problems last week. Ours were mainly overnight so we could open the windows and cool down & then the repair man came twice. Ours was frozen over & needed to defrost and whatnot. We are back in business with being cooled down!
p.s. I'm proud of you that you fixed it!

Marci said...

Wow! I am so impressed! I will be calling you when mine breaks!

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

The Church is true!

I really loved the sweet story about Andrew at the beginning...
Looks like I have a grown up purchase to make.
Well, actually, a grown up purchase that I have made needs to get hung up somewhere in our home!

MEG said...

You the "coolest" person I know!

Elisha said...

That's awesome, Allie! You've taught your kids well, it seems. Good job.

Mugs said...

Cool post Allie! Hilarious and even touching. Thank you. Your son's questions just killed me. It is so true huh? The picture of Jesus first, then the car....then you are officially set.