My kids seem to have the worst dates for birthdays. Andrew's birthday is December 19th, and for the past few years his birthday has been the day his preschool classes and kindergarten class have celebrated their Christmas parties, thus sort or eclipsing his big day. Zack has had the same luck with his October 27th birthday, however, in his case we are having Halloween parties in his classroom on his birthday. Mylie's birthday is in the smack dab middle of the summer, which I suppose is fine, but means she has to resort to celebrating her half birthday to get any special recognition at school and she has to hope her friends are in town for her party.
Madeline, who I would have thought would have the safest birthday, drew the short stick. It is difficult to have an upbeat celebration on a day of national tragedy.
In fact, I found this article online that pretty much sums up what we go through now. We gave Maddie some new clothes to open up for her birthday. I was intending that she wear them on her special day. She smiled at me and said, "Thanks, but we're supposed to wear red, white, and blue to school today."
For the first few years after 9/11/01, when people asked when Maddie's birthday was, people would frown and offer their apologies.
It was a good birthday this year, I think. She had a few parties and took a birthday treat to school and to her soccer game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment