Saturday, November 11, 2006

So much for Saturday

Well, despite my best laid plans for a day full of cleaning, getting better organized, errand running, and enjoying family time, I have to admit barely anything that was on my to do list got done. Every time Ben and I seemed to be getting into the swing of a project, one of the kids would desperately need our attention. As Maddie informed us at one point, "Hey, I'm hungry! Fix me some food. I'm just a kid, remember?!"


Andrew spent the morning at his cousin Bracken's 3rd birthday party. Maddie was livid that she did not make the guest list and threw quite the tantrum after Andrew left. When Andrew arrived home, complete with skull tattoos on his cheek from the pirate party, Maddie made a bee-line for his party favors and claimed them as her own.


Zack and Andrew are having a sleep over with Maddie in her room tonight. I'm hoping they all fall asleep soon, but of course it isn't even 7pm yet, so I know it is wishful thinking. However, our ward's primary program is tomorrow and we have had limited success making it to the chapel in time for our 8:30AM ward, so I told my kids it was really late and that they had to hurry and fall asleep. Fortunately, it is dark as can be outside so Andrew was fooled. Andrew sets his clock to the sun. In the summer when the sun comes up obscenely early, Andrew parades through the house and into everyone's face to inform them that "It is not time for sleep, it is a sunny day!"


I'm having the three kids sleep in the same room tonight so I can try to finish the big project I started this morning in the boys' room. They share the smallest bedroom in the house and their gigantic dresser has just been dead space, because its drawers don't open properly. For the past few months I have resorted to using under-the-bed storage bins for Andrew's clothes and a set of Elfa wire mesh drawers for Zack. It's been a pain, because Andrew could not access his clothes by himself and Zack's 'dresser' took up most of the closet. So, yesterday, when I was at the Pottery Barn Outlet by my house I found the most perfect dresser for the boy's room. It was an overstock item and in perfect condition and I was able to purchase the dresser for less than it would have cost in shipping to purchase it from their catalog. So, their old blue dresser will soon be posted to craigslist and the new dresser has made its way up to their room. I'm so excited to have closet space in the boys' room. We need all the storage space we can get in there.


Well, my kids are upstairs making a lot of noise and I can't tell if the loudest one is laughing or crying. I might have to cancel their little sleep over. I still need to finish preparing my Relief Society lesson and I'm so drained from a full day of playing referee with my kids.


I'm trying to think of anything funny that my kids have said lately. I recently over heard Maddie say to her sister, "Mylie, you put the BABE in baby!" I thought that was pretty funny.


Andrew and Maddie had a heated debate on the way to church not long ago about what a bee's home is called. Maddie kept telling Andrew it was a beehive, but Andrew was quite insistent that it was a beehide, because bees went in it to hide.


Andrew is really into learning how to spell words. He asked me how to spell Zack's name. I told him I would give him a clue. My clue was "The first letter in Zack's name makes this sound Zzzzzzzzzzzzz." Andrew thought for a second then his face lit up. He said, "I know what makes the Zzzzzzzzzzzz sound! The letter bee!"


Well, I have just been informed by my husband that it is now my turn to tell the kids to go to bed. Curses! Foiled again. This is when henchmen would come in handy.


I am posting pictures of what I would love to see when I open the door to Maddie's room. Unfortunatley, these pictures are obviously not from tonight, since Andrew is in both of the pictures...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allie, I love checking up on your family and your stories. Keep them coming!!