
Have you ever felt so sick that you started to wonder if this is what dying feels like? OK, I will admit that I am a wimp. That being said, this week has really given me quite an appreciation for both health and for Ben.
I started getting sick on Monday. I've had the flu. Not the kind that involves throwing up, thank heavens! That has been the one great mercy. Still, I have been completely wiped out. It's been sweats and chills, a horrible cough, terrible body aches, etc. On my own, I've gone through two full boxes of kleenex. I am living off of dayquil and nyquil and halls cough drops and motrin. On the bright side, now that I'm on day five of this bug I am hopefully on the tail end.
If I had to catch it, I guess I should count my lucky stars. My brother-in-law, Justin, had this same flu. However, his began while he and Brooke were on an entirely childless, all-expense paid trip to Atlantis in the Bahamas. Then he had to travel on an airplane back and was still sick on his anniversary and ended up spending a day he had weeks ago arranged as a vacation day as a sick day, but oh yes, his company still counted it as a vacation day. Ugh!!!
Well, this week has been a wonderful reminder to me of how awesome Ben is. My two favorite things I have heard him say this week are, "Yes, I am packing up my stuff and coming home right away to help" and "Wow, Allie, your job is a lot harder than I thought." Hallelujah!
Well, Wednesday is when he left the office at three. Thursday he stayed home, because I still couldn't leave my bed, and he had to run Maddie to the pediatrician because she developed an ear infection. He also ran Zack to and from preschool, changed diapers, made meals, and still handled several of his calls for work.
Friday morning, at 4:30, Andrew is in our bed and burning up. I call Brooke to see if we can borrow a thermometer. It is so nice having a sister a few doors away. Anyway, the thermometer confirms that Andrew has a fever of 103.3. Ben gets on the phone trying to reach the pediatrician. He took Andrew into the doctor this morning. However, despite still running a fever his strep test came back negative and they ruled out an ear infection and so who knows what Andrew has. He says his throat is sore and so is his stomach, but he feels well enough to play.
So, our home has become a make-shift infirmary and Ben has bravely and dutifully cared for us all without complaint.
At least I didn't have to worry about calling my kids schools to tell them they were to sick to come in... school was canceled due to snow.
So, please stay tune for a much more pleasant post.... Oh, and I hope that you are well!
11 comments:
Oh, how horrible! It stinks to feel so completely wiped out, but it's awesome that your husband's being great about helping out. You don't mean for it to be a test of love, but it sure is nice when your husband looks for how to make life easier for you when you feel awful. It reminds you that you made a good choice:). And you get to live right by Brooke?! How awesome! Living right by Peanut would be the greatest gift I could ever have.
Ugh, that sucks. Would you believe that I haven't been sick once this entire season? It's amazing. And my boys have stayed relatively healthy as well. (I'm now looking for some wood to knock on.) I hope you start feeling better soon. And Ben truly is amazing!
Are you guys feeling better yet? I wish you had posted an audio file of your voice! You really did sound like Yzma from " The Emperor's New Groove."
"KROOOONNNNNK!"
Hey Allie- I looked for you at church yesterday. I don't know if I missed you or if you are still sick! I hope you feel better soon!
WENDY
Yick! I feel sorry for you. I know so many people that have had various forms of it. No fun. Sam has been suffering from this himself and I'm hoping that he's on the upturn because I can only deal with grumpy for so long. Hope you are better soon!
A
Is it awful that it is sort of nice when my kids are sick, bc it means they sleep? Also, I like being sick bc I get to sleep and not feel guilty. We are all sick right now so I am feeling pretty good!
Oh wow. It's NO fun to be sick, at least you have a superhero for a husband! What a nice guy...I'm glad he appreciates how hard you work. I think being a mom of ONE is a TOUGH job...and you have 4. You're my hero!
Being sick is a bummer, but being sick with kids is like being on your deathbed. So no, I don't think you are being melodramatic. I'm glad you have a sister next door too. I remember what it was like to have sisters next door in Cleveland! I miss those days! I hope you are feeling better by now!
So you left a comment does this mean you are back in the land of the living? Did you all survive? I hope so. I would love to get more cash from Craigslist, still need a lesson in selling. :-)
Hope you are feeling better.
So sad for you. It's no good for the company when the CEO is down. Sounds like Ben is a real trooper.
Three cheers for Ben!! Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
Post a Comment