

We had another awesome trip to New York City to take advantage of Kids Night On Broadway. This was our second year taking Maddie and Andrew. It is so much fun! The deal is that kids go free with an adult to some of the best shows broadway has to offer. Last year we saw 'Beauty and the Beast' and also got to meet Julie Andrews who was the ambassador for Kids Night On Broadway 2007.
This year we drove up to New York again. Fortunately, our ghetto window situation has been remedied and we once again have a fully functional vehicle.
We arrived Tuesday evening and checked into the Paramount Hotel which is a very fun boutique hotel right in Times Square. The lobby had some very fun chairs. This was our favorite:
The weather was wonderful and we were able to avoid using taxis.
Tuesday night Maddie and I went to see 'Wicked.'
Neither of us had seen it before and it was awesome. It was fun to spend time just me and Maddie. After the show Maddie wanted to see if she could get some autographs. I like to encourage the kids do this, because I think it is important to learn that the characters they just saw on stage actually are really people and people with really incredible talent.
After 'Wicked', Maddie received autographs from various cast members such as the Wizard, Galinda, and Fiyero.
Here she is with Annaleigh Ashford who did an incredible job as Galinda and David Burnham who played Fiyero.


While Maddie and I were at the show, Ben and Andrew hit the town and such Andrew chosen hot spots as M&M World and the enormous Toys R Us in Times Square where they rode the four story ferris wheel.
We went to Planet Hollywood for dinner. Andrew, as usual, was glued to his Leapster.
Wednesday was a blur on 5th Avenue. We hit all the spots important to Maddie and Andrew. We started with American Girl Place, then the NYC Disney Store where we stocked up on some fun Disney character Mr. Potato Head parts, and then to FAO Schwarz.






We were there long enough for our children to beg for every item their eyes beheld.
We also got lunch from a street vendor which the kids thought was very cool.

Then, we hit a matinee performance of 'The Little Mermaid.'

Years ago, when Maddie was three we took her to the Warner Theater to see a performance of what turned out to be a Disney flop called 'On The Record.' There was an actor in that show who rode home on the metro with us. Maddie wanted an autograph but became a bit overwhelmed when he finally came up to talk to her and she burst into tears. Well, this same actor was in this performance of Little Mermaid. So, she got his autograph this time, however without all the tears and drama.
We quite enjoyed the Little Mermaid. Especially Andrew. I looked over to find him kissing the picture of Ariel on his Playbill and when she came on stage he whispered, "Wow...she's so beautiful..." I remembered this and was comforted later in the evening when he told me that when he grows up he wants to be a "fabulous dancer."
The new songs, the fun costumes, and the cool sets were fun to see.
After the show we went to dinner at Chevys and then to see 'Mary Poppins.'

OK, if you haven't seen this yet. SEE IT!!!!! It was so fun. Definitely get yourself a copy of the Cast Recording of it. Fabulously fun new songs and quite a new spin on the story. My favorite song is 'Brimstone and Treacle.' The actress who sang it in our performance did a far greater job, in my opinion, than the one on the recording but still so awesome!
While we were in New York with our older kids, our younger two were with Ben's mom living the high life there. They both came home with some really cool new shoes that Grandma bought for them at a fun children's clothing boutique that specializes in european styles.
Also, Andrew has made some choice comments recently. Here is one of my favorites:
Andrew: Mom, when I am a giant and you are a giant we will get married at a marrying place for giants.
Me: I'm already married to dad.
Andrew: Married to dad? Oh. Well, I will just have to destroy him.
Ben, if you are reading this...sleep with one eye open.
I now leave you with a special performance by Andrew from during the Little Mermaid intermission:





11 comments:
That sounds like the coolest trip with kids on earth. When I have money and I have more than one child and some of my children are older than four (breath...), I will ask you when and how to procure tickets and plan for this awesome event.
It looks like you guys had so much fun!! I remember we always had so much fun going to NYC when we were kids... I hope I get to take my children there as much as you do!
NYC with the older kids and lots of Broadway shows 2 years in a row? Wow. You must have sold a lot on Craigslist. If we move back there for 6 months for steve's training I'll have to figure out how to navigate to NYC.
I love the photos & the video of Andrew best...his cute raspy voice is just adorable. Looks like an amazing trip to NYC!!
Maddie is a mini-Allie. What a cute girl! What a cool trip!
Wow! i didn't know that broadway did that, sounds so fun. How do you go about getting tickets? Do you think I could pretend Ryan was my kid and we could just without the kids for 1/2 the price?
The tickets went on sale back in November and most of the "good" shows sold out with in a matter of minutes. That is the main reason Maddie and I went to Wicked without Ben and Andrew. There were only two tickets left at the kids night price! However, they never check to see who pairs up together so you and Ryan could have gotten away with it this year, and last year for that matter, but that being said now watch them check like crazy next year...
What a fun idea! You are so lucky to have seen all those shows since of course they are all near impossible to get in to on a regular day. My mom and I go to NY each year and we see a bunch of shows. We saw Wicked last year and I have since seen in three more times. I'm going for my 5th next month. I LOVED it and Mary Poppins. We miss you guys and hope you are doing well! Love ya!!
I am thrilled to find out about this event - I am going to have to take my kids. Andrew was a crack up! Now - I need you to teach me how to upload multiple photos to a blog. You do it so well, and I can not do it at all!
whenever I need a good laugh, I just visit your blog!
Allie - I am glad I stumbled on your blog. We will have to do this next year. We live about 20 blocks up from FAO Shwartz - next time you are in the city let me know. I can help you get a babysitter if you want to go out with Ben.
Post a Comment