Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My day afloat on the 7 Cs: Coke, Chemicals, Car, Cord, Craigslist, Cutting and Cinderella


This morning Andrew was pretty determined to have some diet coke. Ben bought some in little enticing bottles that Andrew thought looked like rockets. I told Andrew not to have one. A few moments later I hear him slurping away on the couch. Here is the conversation that thus ensued:

Me: Andrew, I thought I asked you not to drink that.
Andrew: Yep. You did.
Me: Why are you drinking it then?
Andrew: I like it. It is tasty and bubbly.
Me: There is nothing good for you in there, it is made up entirely of chemicals.
Andrew: What are chemicals?
Me: The things that scientists have in test tubes that bubble up.
(Andrew's eyes get very wide as he stares at his bottle of diet coke, then he starts chugging it)
Once he finishes chugging: Mom, now that I drank the chemicals do you think I'm going to turn into a mad scientist?

Oh, Andrew....

The regulator for the driver window on our mini-van broke right before New Years, so even though the window motor is working, our automatic window just keeps sliding down and won't go back up. We've been putting off fixing it for as long as the duct tape could hold it up. Nothing like the feeling of being absolutely ghetto when you go through a drive-thru (fast food or bank) and you have to full on open the door to order, talk to someone, or get the goods. We're finally going ahead and shelling out a chunk of change to fix the problem tomorrow, and hopefully fix the new special "car doesn't start" problem that developed this morning. We're driving up to NY on Tuesday, which explains why our car decides now of all times to start misbehaving. At least the car started acting up here, and not a few days later when we would've ended up stranded in New York. We're thinking it needs a new starter, so pretty much a couple more hundred dollars we can kiss goodbye.

Now for another C: Craigslist. I've been selling all sorts of things on Craigslist lately. It has become a bit of a game for me. When I get tired of seeing something taking up space in my home, it is time to post on craigslist to rake in some moolah. I've been selling baby items like hot cakes. The best part about it is that I buy some good quality things new and then sell them for around 75% of what I paid, thus my out of pocket expense for an item NEW is 25% and the customers price of something used is 75%. It's awesome. I knew it was awesome when I sold my $225 awesome breast pump for $185. I mean, seriously, there are few things I can think of much grosser than buying a used breast pump, but to buy it for that much money? That blew my mind! Today people were interested in a cotton candy maker, a pottery barn desktop that I got at the outlet for $15 a few years ago, but that I have listed at $125 on craigslist, because even on sale from the current PB catalog, it is going for $170 pre-tax, and Mylie's crib/mattress, glider&ottoman. Craigslist is my best friend. It has paid for family trips to Disney World in the past. If you don't sell things on craigslist, it is time you started! It is so easy. Who knows what people are willing to pay for that old double stroller that you were about to toss out the other day, just because you want to free up some room in the garage (apparently $100).

Right now I am writing this from my laptop which is plugged into the wall with Ben's work laptop power cord. My cord frayed apart today, and my battery is beyond its usable life so it must remain plugged in to function. Our desktop that is older than Andrew is also currently non-functioning. Thus, I have relied on Ben's periodic checking of my email while he was at work today and calling me to see what he should tell various people who are interested in my craigslist items.

Well, now back to Andrew. After about ten minutes of dinner, I noticed something different about Andrew. Look closely.



No, not the Sponge Bob band-aid that he stuck on his head to create a uni-brow (though that is different).



That's right, the sixth C of today was for Cutting... Oh that naughty Andrew!

Now, we have sailed six of the seven Cs. I leave you with this very, very choice video of Cinderella and Snow White today at Brooke's house. It is very excellent. I can't wait to show it to one day include it in Zack's wedding video... Enjoy!



10 comments:

Elisha said...

Ah, your kids are awesome. I only hope that some day my kids can say and do things that are just as awesome. And you've inspired me to start selling stuff on Craig's List. Who can't use a little extra moolah, right?

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

Those C's were good enough for 7 individual posts!! I loved the video!! I think you need to comment that the reason it is so noisy when Zack walks is because he is wearing the "cinderella high heels."I didn't notice until the third time I watched the video. Fabulous! That made my week. Thanks Zackerella!

megan&steve said...

Naughty Andrew cutting his shirt! We need to go through my parents house and craiglist a lot of clutter. Zackerella is a hit! I'm sure you helped out a lot while Brooke was gone and I'm sure she appreciates it!

Rachael said...

Oh, Allie... I'm sorry for your scissor incident...how much could you get for that on Craig's?

Mugs said...

That last video was so good! I had a big laugh at "Zackarella" and loved hearing your voice again. I had forgotten it, but it all came flooding back. You were always a cool chick, and now a cool mom.

Heather and Dave said...

Oh, I love the Gaa- gaa saga...when can I purchase the book at Barnes & Noble?! You are such a gifted writer. I loved the video, and cute stories. Keep up the good work!

rachel said...

You are such a good mom! i think I would of been a little more upset. At the same time your kids are so funny! I can't believe he cut his shirt sleeve off. Even funner is that he left the other one on. When are you guys going to come back and visit us. Oh it looks like we can't do the Busch gardens thing. Lack of $$$... Oh well have fun for us. When are you guys going to Utah this summer?

Anonymous said...

Where do they come up with these things? I want to know what cartoons your kids are watching. They are hilarious!...mad scientists and evil bald men taking over the universe with concourses of slaves. I love it!

Melodrama Mama said...

Hey Allie! I found your blog! Your 'C's are hilarious. I don't know which is my favorite - it is between the mad scientist and the cutting. I have to confess that I have also ghetto-ed it with a duct taped car window. It broke on a drive from Utah to California and we crossed the Mojave with the wind whistling through the mediocre repair.
WENDY

Chris said...

Hey there Allie. I love this post, maybe it is the diet coke deal, not many days I live without that, or a very similiar conversation, minus the mad scientist. :-) But what I really want to know are your craigslist secrets. Just started looking to sell there. Tell me how to make some money. :-)
Chris Riker
www.rikerhome.blogspot.com