Sunday, January 27, 2008

Farewell to a Good Man


(June 23, 1910-January 27, 2008)


President Gordon B. Hinckley was a great man and accomplished so much good in his life. He had such a charming personality and way about him. I was able to see him in October during General Conference. I loved his sense of humor, and I remember standing in the Conference Center in Salt Lake and watching him raise his cane and smile as he exited, just like in the picture above. Even today, before he died, Ben and I were talking about how amazing his life has been and how incredible it is that he was able to travel and accomplish so much at his age, and that he kept going for so many years, even after the death of his wife. For anyone unfamiliar about who President Hinckley is, he was the prophet of the LDS Church. As a church leader who has been in the first presidency for as long as I can remember (since before I turned 3), and as the prophet of the church when Ben and I were married and as each of our four children were born, I will always have a special fondness for him.

3 comments:

Mugs said...

So true Allie. What a charismatic and kind man.

On a sidenote :)... you surely may my friend!

Sister Tara Bowen said...

I agree with you. My husband and I found out that he died last night and talked about it for awhile. I just kept thinking of how awesome it will be for him to be with his sweetheart again. He has lived his life so incredibly! I've been reading tributes by the BY Times and others, and they've been okay. He's been a powerful influence for good and I love him. Good luck, President Monson! I think he'll want our prayers:).

Loya said...

Hi Allie, Found your blog. Wanted to say hi. Email me loya12@hotmail.com

-Loya