Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Mishaps in Momsville

Ben started a new job. There are some advantages to this and some disadvantages to this. Interestingly enough the primary advantage to his new job is also the primary disadvantage to his new job. He now works from home. The plus is that he no longer has an hour long (each way) commute, which gives us more time together, cuts down on gas, car maintenance, tolls, etc. The downside is that I feel as if our home has shrunk.

Ben has transformed Zack's bedroom into his office. Zack has moved into Maddie and Mylie's room and Maddie has bumped into Andrew's room. So, we've been shuffling children, clothing, books, and bedding for the past several days. There have been some tears about bedroom switches and some children happy with the change. I have also been trying to keep the kids down on the lower two levels and away from Ben's office. Easier said than done, but they are getting better at it.

Ben is working for a company called Ryma, selling their Feature Plan service. So, he is still in software sales and sells software solutions to companies and corporations.

I've been working on potty training Zack, but he still begs for me to put a diaper on him. He's actually been doing a very good job. He did have an unforeseen potty training accident...and no, not that kind of potty training accident. He was trying to pee while standing up like he sees Andrew do and rather than just put up the lid and the seat, he was holding the seat and lid to help him balance while leaning forward. Well, somehow he lost his grip on the seat and it slammed right down pinching the part that makes him a boy between the seat and the toilet rim. Good grief, I have such klutzy kids! Anyway, he got a pretty nasty bruise from it. Fortunately, he is still trying to use the toilet. What a brave boy. Now, however, he sits down.

Maddie and Andrew love playing UNO. Andrew is quite the cheat. When he deals the cards, he somehow always ends up with an entire handful of draw four wild cards and regular wild cards.

Maddie has a new joke that she learned at primary that she likes to tell everyone. It goes like this: Two snakes are slithering down the path. One of them says to the other, "Are we poisonous snakes?" The other says, "Well, yes we are, why?" Then the first replies, "Because I just bit my tongue..."

Well, as I type this Zack has helped himself to an entire bag of oreos. Parenting at its finest...




Another mishap in Momsville was when I came down to the main level to find Mylie looking like she had just been involved in a very gruesome accident. You will be relieved, as I was, to learn that it is actually just a whole heck of a lot of strawberry jelly in her hair. However, I was not as relieved to see my home had been turned into a house of horror, as the jelly was also in my carpet, and on my walls, and windows, and her clothes, and on the boys...

Fortunately, I have learned the dangers of my children and popcorn and was able to foresee what was sure to be a fine mess. So, here is what happens when I send my kids outside to eat their popcorn. I would much rather the birds pick up at that popcorn than myself!



Speaking of birds, we recently discovered a mourning dove had laid two eggs in its nest right outside our back door. My kids have been quite excited by the prospect of seeing baby birds.



Today Andrew asked me, "Do moms ever grow up?" When I said yes, that moms can grow up to be grandmas, he then asked, "Mom, are you almost a grandma?" I did find my first gray hair the other day. I am blaming it on the kids! They are making me grow up too fast! The good news, though, is I am NOT almost a grandma.

5 comments:

megan&steve said...

I loved reading and seeing all the pictures from these past adventures in your house. Working from home does have its up's and downs. I worked a little tiny bit after Jake was born at home. That just resulted in me getting paid while taking care of my child. I'm sure grandpa didn't mind too much!

Elisha said...

Yikes! That picture of Miley is scary. I thought for sure she had had some horrible accident!

Rachael said...

I always read your blog and especially when I need a good laugh. Your kids do love to get into the food!!! That's the kind of stuff that absolutely makes my heart skip a beat. Can you say: AR? Or just lazy. I'm not sure which I am... And I loved the part about 100% mischief and seeing it in his eyes. That's both my boys.

Anonymous said...

Wow that picture of Miley worried me. I am glad to know that it was only jam. Life sure can be fun sometimes huh? :-)

Melodrama Mama said...

Wow - the jam incident would have been freakish! And also the toilet seat issue. Middle child did that once. Never a dull moment - huh? Which Mom's get the calm and obedient kids?