Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Family Outing on a Wednesday

This afternoon we went to Roosevelt Island for a picnic. After lunch we explored the island. The kids loved running down the paths and looking for wildlife. We saw some squirrels, birds, and a salamander. Andrew told me that we were all pioneers for walking on a dirt road with so much nature.



We also enjoyed exploring the Natural History Museum. The kids loved seeing the Hope Diamond, the dinosaur bones and fossils, and the animal bones exhibit. I hated seeing the gigantic elephant in the center, which I have hated ever since I was three or four. I was terrified of it when I was little. I think it comes from when my mom told me it was real, but not alive, then I listened to the phone thing near it that tells about it and at the end of it there is a really loud elephant roar. Am I the only one with a strange and irrational childhood fear that didn't go away upon reaching adulthood?

Anyway, my kids really had a great time in the Insect Zoo at the museum. Especially Andrew who was brave enough to hold a Madagascar cockroach. He was fascinated by all of the bugs.




7 comments:

alexandra said...

What a fun day!

Nancy said...

After seeing that monster roach, I wonder if you would like living in Utah again. The bugs here are so tame. That's one thing I don't miss about Arizona... You do so many fun things with your kids. I'm very impressed and I loved David's green hair too!

megan&steve said...

Icky bugs! What a great Wednesday outing. Hopefully it wasn't too crowded.
Your kiddos look happy & healthy! Way to go!

Heather and Dave said...

How fun to have a picnic at the park! You're so creative, and so are you kids, especially since Andrew thought you were all Pioneers, how cute :)That roach made me cringe. There were always so many roaches in the summertime in AZ...yuck!

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

I always loved the giant elephant in the Natural History museum! Although it does have a very strong and distinct aroma!
I remember Maddie wearing that red heart sweater that fits Mylie now! Time sure flies!

abbie said...

you could not pay me a million dollars to hold that roach. kids are so funny.

Brooke said...

WHAT?????? I LOVE that elephant! I thought everyone loved that elephant! I was disappointed the last time that I was there and the phones were gone! How could you have been terrified of it?

I guess my only Smithsonian memories with you were from buying the kite string at the Air and Space...it still conjures up very sad feelings for me. How could mom and dad have let you try and buy something if you didn't have enough money? I was scarred for life.