Thursday, December 20, 2007

Lucky to be alive

Yes, that's right. This evening Zachary is very, very lucky to be alive. It must be all of your kind prayers that have saved him. What happened? Well, let's just keep this to the past six hours of today. Let's begin with Zack deciding to give himself his own bath, and using shampoo bottles, shaving cream, conditioner, his bottle of milk, (or as he was calling them, his "boats") and making a big watery mess for me to clean up in the bathroom.

Then, as I was upstairs folding laundry, he brought me up the scissors and a red popsicle he wanted me to open for him. Knowing Zachary and that I have light colored carpeting, I led him back down to the kitchen to put away the popsicle. When I reached the entry of the kitchen I was greeted by this pleasant adventure of toddler discovery:





He was delighted by his handy work and sang out cheerfully "Eggs! Eggs! Eggs! and Eggs!"

So, one and a half cartons of eggs, half a roll of paper towels, and most of a bottle of disinfectant later, I decided to let Zack go back downstairs and play with Andrew and Bracken.

You know the saying, "It's quiet....too quiet"? Well, the three boys had been downstairs playing very quietly for long enough that I was beginning to get suspicious. Before I could make it down to investigate I hear a very cheerful voice saying, "Hi, Mommy!!" To my horror, I turn around to find Zack is covered in red. Bright red thick and staining red. I recognize it immediately and my heart sinks as I realize that he is covered in frosting from Andrew's birthday cake. This can only mean one thing. Woefully, I begin my journey to discover what else has been destroyed in the name of Zack.

Downstairs I find the last half of Andrew's extremely colorful birthday cake strewn across the room and smeared on the tv, the bean bag chair, Andrew, and Bracken. I can only imagine what my townhouse neighbors must think as their walls start to shake from the volume of my screaming.

So, let's just say with the emotions that Zack stirred up in me today he is VERY lucky to be alive. As I type this, I just watched him zip past me entirely naked. This also cannot be good. Well, I'm off to try to catch my little wild beast... Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Elisha said...

All I can say, Allie, is you've got some crazy kids. But of course you already knew that... :)

Heather and Dave said...

Oh wow, that is a crazy day! Lucky for Zack, he just had his surgery or he wouldn't be so lucky to have gotten away without some serious consequences. Why do children think it's so fun to play in/with food? What a mess!! I feel sorry for your awful, no good, very bad day of cleaning, and re-cleaning.

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

Pure hilarity.

Miller Family said...

OH MY! What an adventure. I'm sure they had a great time though. I'm glad he's still alive. Max turns 5 in January, I didn't realize they were so close in age.

Rachael said...

Just when I can't BELIEVE my life, I read yours - and I really can't believe yours. You're quick-witted to get the camera for those eggs. I'll always be grateful...as I continue to wipe the tears from my face and catch my breath in laughter. And, of course, pity.

Unknown said...

There is always a great laugh on your blog site. I thought eggs were always on the front porch or the garage door--due to teenagers. Thanks for another great entry. I can hardly wait to see what comes next.

Greg Hanson said...

Hi, I'm new to reading your blog but I laughed out loud at this and thought with fond memories of our first move-in day in Vegas 8 years ago. Our kids got into our flour food storage, then in BYU Creamery buckets, and built their own sandbox in the kitchen while my wife and I took a quick snooze. Good to see my family is only mildly looney. Keep up the posts; you capture the hilarity well.