Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sunday Post

Unfortunately, the tail end of Zachary's recovery proved MUCH worse than the beginning. Thursday night, Friday and Friday night were all pretty bad around here. Ben's mom was kind enough to make the thirty-minute-each-way-via-toll-road round trip to pick up Andrew and Mylie, so that Zack could have some alone time with mom. Talk about a nice grandma.

She does this sort of thing for us all of the time. I never know what to do as a thanks. As I was thinking about how much she deserved a big heart felt thanks, I noticed the big pile of red felt that I recently bought with Maddie to make felt Christmas ornaments. Well, that gave me an idea. So, here is what I came up with to give her:




Yes, a big tangible "felt heart thank you" will soon be given to her to thank her for all she does for us. The pictures are of the front and the back. Its about 12 inches across and about seven inches high. Cheesy, I know. Still, I hope she likes it. I just couldn't resist the pun.

Madeline had her first basketball game on Saturday. When it was over and we got to the car, she said, "That was so much fun! Who won?" Well, the other team won. However, I am glad that she had such a good time.



This morning, I took Maddie and Andrew to church and Ben stayed home with Zack and Mylie. Andrew was getting pretty bored, since nothing in the activity bag was sounding interesting to him. He was laying down on the bench when the ward choir went up to sing. Andrew was lying down on his stomach facing me. Andrew loves singing and music, so I watched him to see the look of surprise on his face when he heard the singing begin. When the choir begins, Andrew's head pops up and to my surprise, he angrily (and loudly) says, "How am I supposed to sleep with all of this singing?!" He must have been really tired, because he was sound asleep by the end of sacrament meeting and I had to carry him to primary and then at primary he went to the back of the primary room and went back to sleep for the first twenty minutes.

However, before he decided to lie down during sacrament meeting he asked me a question. I leaned in to answer him quietly. He squints his eyes, plugs his nose, and says loudly to my horror "P.U. your breath is stinky!" and then in a soft voice "I HATE the smell of mint." Yes, I had MINTY FRESH BREATH I'll have you all know. Andrew does hate mint. Oh children, they're always perfect for creating embarassing situations followed by awkward silences... (Who can forget the awfully embarassing moment with two-month-old baby Andrew, a stranger and myself in an elevator when Andrew decides to pass what I can only describe as 'man gas', and I know it came from Andrew, but how could the stranger in the elevator begin to comprehend that I had an infant capable of producing such an offensive odor at such a small size?)

A new family moved into our ward today. It turns out they've also moved into our neighborhood, just around the corner from us. They have a girl Maddie's age, so Maddie is thrilled. On the way home from church I was sharing with Maddie and Andrew what I had learned about the new family. When I told them that the family would be renting the house for at least sixteen months, I wanted my kids to grasp how long that amount of time was, especially Andrew who has difficulty processing time. So, as an example, I told them the new family would be renting their house for an amount of time equal to Mylie's entire life (she's sixteen months until the 19th of December). This was a poorly worded example, it turned out, because after I finished saying this, Andrew further elaborated to Maddie that "the family will move out when Mylie is dead."

Thanks to everyone who has been buying Brite music using my rep code. Remember that the contest is running until December 15th, so if you are thinking of buying anything then NOW is the time. If you have no clue what I am talking about, then here is the link to the contest post:

Allie's Holiday Brite Contest

Thanks for checking in!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Ha! So your kids say the worst things at the worst times, too? And man gas? Yeah, I didn't know how to explain that my 4 y/o was responsible for clogging the toilet (again). I hope that Andrew is over the recovery and, apparently, your breath. Love the pillow, by the way.