Thursday, December 06, 2007

Welcoming Ruby Jane



Baby Ruby Jane Allen has arrived. Weighing in at 8lbs 3oz and measuring 20 inches long, Ruby joins siblings Tate, Abbie, and Bracken. Brooke and baby are doing well. The labor was long, only because Ruby had entangled herself in her cord and was caught around the middle and her ankle. Fortunately, she was entirely fine.


Our sister, Jessie, stayed with Brooke's kids (thanks for sending her back here Taylor) and has developed a greater appreciation of the exhausting nature of motherhood. Watching three kids ages 4, 2, and 15 months alone all day might be enough to make most decide to wait a long time before having a child. However, let's take a little poll looking at Jessie holding Ruby what thought she must have going through her head...



Bracken and Abbie were so excited to see the baby. They both went up to her and tickled under chin while saying, "Coochie coochie coo." I think this will attest that they are well versed in how television characters react to babies.




One of my favorite moments was watching Bracken hold his new sister for the first time and hear him say softly to her as she was wimpering, "Oh don't you worry about a thing, Ruby, your brother Bracken's got you."





Abbie was excited about holding her too.




Tate, however, was feeling a bit displaced and sought solace in a big bag of chips.



Ruby is such a cutie. I am interested in what her personality will be like.

Here is a picture of my little Miss Mylie McMullet enjoying some Reese's Puff cereal this morning. Both of my girls have had the unfortunate curse of a mullet. They must get it from Ben's side, because the girls in my family did not have mullets.



And Maddie posing on the trampoline where she had wanted to try to make a snowman this afternoon.



Zack was miserable today. I'm hoping that means we are at the tail end and that soon his recovery will all be over. It is awful watching him feel so miserable, plus he is extremely cranky.

Before I end this post I will recount a conversation with Andrew from dinner last night. He was acting up so I thought I would come up with a random question so that he would be distracted from his naughtiness. I asked him what he would name his children when he was older and had his own kids. As if he had already given this topic much thought, he quickly responded, "Mary, Joseph, Jesus, Tyrone, and Pablo." He said it pretty much all in one breath. I wonder what his wife will think of that.

9 comments:

Weed Family said...

Tell Brooke "Congratulations!" from us, that is so exciting. Those are such sweet pictures. Not only is it making Jessie baby hungry, it is making me baby hungry! There is just something about a sweet and tender newborn that tugs at your heart. I hope Zack feels better soon, poor guy. And tell Andrew he is hilarious, and that I do like the name "Mary".

The Wright's said...

Thank you so much for writing me and giving me the update!! Ruby is beautiful, please tell Brooke I said congratulations! I can't believe I found all of you.. I was just blog snooping and saw your name..It was crazy! I called her yesterday and wondered why she hadn't called me back...well, now I know... little Ruby! Thanks again. Your family is so cute, I can't believe how old all of your kids are!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brooke! I'm sure she reads your post right? Well, I think the names Jesus and Pablo go perfectly together...don't you?

rachel said...

Congratulations Brooke. I am so excited for you to be done. Allie tell her I am jealous.

Heather and Dave said...

Oh what CUTE photos! Brooke looks great and little Ruby is just precious. I think Jess & Tay are going to want a baby RIGHT away! I saw that look in her eyes like, "I want to be next!" We need our kids to be close in age, so they better get with it! Mylie is so cute, even if she does have the "business in the front, party in the back" look going on! I think Andrew should write those names in his journal to be SURE he won't forget what he wants to name his kids. I did that when I was little and it turned out they were all of my friends names, or boys I had crushes on...has he been hanging out with anyone named Tyrone or Pablo recently?

megan&steve said...

Congrats on Ruby Jane! It looks like Brookes kids were all dressed and happy at the hospital- way to go Jess. I give Jess a few yrs on the idea of kiddos, but she does have great sisters for advice on raising them and allll the baby gear.

Rachael said...

After catching up on your blog, I didn't know which to comment on first: the names of your future grandchildren (how very diversified), your new niece, naughty dogs, or of course, the surgery. Sounds like wild times in VA. Wish I were there to help. But then, I'd have to trade my flip flops in, and we all know how I feel about that. I always have a good laugh when I read you. I'll have Lucy turn around a letter as soon as she gets over herself.

Miller Family said...

Yeah! I'm so excited to see Brooke's baby. You guys are brave, brave women! How fun. I can't wait to meet her. If Jess is anything like me her reaction to newborns is something like "oh, how amazing and wonderful . . . and I'm so glad I can hand this baby back and go home and sleep!" Hopefully I'm wrong so I can finally get a few nieces and nephews.

Rachel Kirkham said...

I'm so sad we are not there to hug and kiss little Ruby Jane. We miss all of you so much! Your blog has made for some wonderful reading during work as I am bored out of my mind. Thanks for the smiles!!