Sunday, October 12, 2008

Choices


My oldest daughter, Maddie, was baptized and confirmed a member of our church yesterday. In our religion, children are baptized at age 8. Maddie was given the choice of whether she wanted to be baptized or not, and obviously since I already said she was baptized yesterday, she chose yes.

Her baptism was very nice and I'm grateful for the family and friends who were able to come. Ben baptized and confirmed her. Both of her grandfathers gave talks. Andrew sang a duet with his aunt Abby. Ben's mom made the beautiful dress that Maddie was confirmed in.

Maddie informed me that Grandma Winnie would be making her dress for her baptism day after she had already asked her grandma to make it. Maddie's reasoning was very sweet. She said, "Grandma Marilyn made me the dress that I was blessed in, so I want Grandma Winnie to make me the dress for my baptism." Maddie was blessed in the dress that my Mom made for me to be blessed in and all of my sisters, my girls, and my two nieces have all been blessed in that dress. I appreciated that Maddie could see the importance of memories and heirlooms. Maddie chose the pattern and the fabric for her dress with her grandma. Winnie put a lot of time into that dress and created a very wonderful memory for Maddie that will last way beyond when the dress is outgrown.


Today was fast and testimony meeting in our ward, since General Conference was last weekend. Maddie and I had a discussion on the importance of fasting. I explained to her that fasting is more than just not eating. I told her that when you don't fast with a purpose in mind, you are missing the meaning of a fast. Maddie fasted for the first time today. She did not complain at all about being hungry, though she clearly was, and fasted all the way until we came home from church. Our ward gets out at 3:30, so that is quite a long time for a little girl to not eat.

Mylie was a little too vocal for sacrament meeting so Ben took her out to the hall. I was helping Zack pick up some crayons he had dropped when all of a sudden I heard a very familiar voice from the pulpit and looked up to find Maddie bearing her testimony. She didn't tell me she was going to go up and she has never gone up before, so I was caught a bit off guard. She bore a very simple, sweet, and sincere testimony.

I am grateful for moments in my experience as a mother when I feel like perhaps my kids will turn out ok. This weekend was full of those kinds of moments. I am proud of Maddie and the choices that she is making in her life, and I am happy to have such a wonderful daughter.

Maddie was very excited to finally have her own set of scriptures. She received her own copy with her name engraved on the front from her Grandfather Lee and she has already read 7 chapters in them so far.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I can't believe you have an 8 year old - Maddie is so beautiful!

What a sweet girl and a wonderful story. The dress is beautiful and the memory of wearing a dress that your mom made is so precious.

xo

Weed Family said...

Sounds like a very sweet day, followed by a very sweet Sunday. Such a touching post. Of course it made me cry. Maddie is such a good girl and thank you for setting such a good example as a mother. Tell Maddie congratulations from us :)

David said...

I, too, am very proud of Maddie and pleased with the choices she's made. She has brought so much happiness into our lives. She reminds me alot of when her mother was 8. Grandfather Lee

David said...

I, too, am very proud of Maddie and the choices she's made. She's brought so happiness into our lives and reminds of when her mother was 8. Grandfather

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

So, are you not grateful for the relatives who really wanted to attend but couldn't bc airfare was outrageous???I'm glad the scriptures made it out there and I'm glad you posted a photo of them so I could confirm that Tay got the correct ones and spelled her name right!
This post was a really special one and unfortunately I was with Maere on the tears, blame it on the pregnancy hormones.
I was really touched that she went up to bear her testimony and am sad that I missed that.

Miller Family said...

Yeah! Congrats Maddie!

Brooke said...

This post is for Madeliney!! We are SOOOOO PROUD of you!!! You are such a wonderful little girl!! Your cousins miss you so much and we ALL wish we could have been there to witness you make such an important commitment to your Heavenly Father. I'm sure that your baptism was very special and I'm sure that there were many in attendance whom you could not see. We all love you so much and are so grateful that you are in our family!!!