Geez Louise! Today is picture day at the elementary school. The day that my children immortalize my lack of strong parental skills. Actually, Andrew was quite good about getting into the outfit I found for him to wear. Unfortunately his hair left much to be desired even after playing guinea pig to my many hair product attempts. I just can't win with hair with my kids!
Maddie, on the other hand, was difficult from the moment I turned on her light this morning. She didn't want to get out of bed. She wanted nothing to do with the sixteen outfits I offered approval on. She would not get out of bed until about five minutes before the bus is set to arrive. She sleeps on the top bunk which makes it much more difficult to just pull her off the bed, which is what I would have done had she not been on a top bunk.
Reminding her that it is going to be pretty cold today, I leave her with a few threats and once again putting a plug for the sweaters and fleeces that are cute that she has to wear and I head upstairs to see if Andrew has eaten his breakfast (ie- not spilled it all over his Picture Day Outfit).
Maddie surfaces a minute before she and Andrew need to leave for the bus stop. Her hair looks like a combination between the snakes of Medusa and a birds nest. "I DON'T CARE, MOM!!!! I LOOK FINE!!! THE CAMERA WON'T SEE THE BACK OF MY HEAD!!!" I swear the child did not put a brush through it at ALL!!!! Oh, and no sweater and no fleece. Just a t-shirt that fit her two years ago and a pair of jeans.
Part of me is horrified that people will think either I forgot it was picture day (despite three emails, two reminders sent home in the backpacks, and even an automated voice message reminder on our voice mail), part of me is horrified that my child will look like she lives in the gutter and is neglected, and the rest of me is very irritated that they make us PREPAY for pictures now, which is such a crock.
The only bright side I see, is that Maddie's 3rd Grade school picture will now pay for itself as a tool for blackmail.
So, maybe I sound like Charlie Brown's mother to Maddie. Maybe. However, the way she pushes every button to tick me off leads me to believe she has heard what I've said and chosen to take the path of MOST resistance.
How many years until I get to look back and laugh?
I wish I had the camera to take some pictures of Maddie's hair as she left!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Picture day will definately = blackmail day for Miss Maddie. Did she make it to the bus ontime? Too bad you have to prepay for the pictures. Keep on keeping on Allie!
No, in typical bad morning fashion my kids missed the bus.
Here's to strong willed kids!!Go Maddie! Picture day was never my favorite either, but on the bright side, if you take as few pictures as I did and always buy the smallest packet, maybe she'll grow up to be a photographer like Heather!
Hooray for picture day! Lame that you have to prepay!
Your kids are cute so I'm sure any photo they take will be great!
You could always push Maddie off the top bunk, just once, or have Andrew do it, then she can have a broken arm to match Bracken's and she may even take you more seriously the next time. But truthfully, I really look forward to hilarious school pictures (of other people's kids) because we already know how cute they are in person, it's much funnier to see how bizarre they can look in a freeze-frame moment. Let us not forget Bracken's school pictures from the past two years.
Post a Comment