Friday, December 10, 2010

It has been a good week. It is starting to sink in that in just a little over a week Andrew will be turning 8 and getting baptized. Last Sunday he met with the bishop for an interview. Afterward, the Bishop met Ben at the door to his office and said something along the line of, "Andrew answered my questions well. Unfortunately, he had some questions I couldn't answer so I told him you would answer them at home." It turned out that when the bishop asked Andrew if he had any questions at the end of the interview, Andrew was asking questions about Christopher Columbus. The Bishop should have been more specific when he asked Andrew if he had any questions.

It is really cold out now. However, not cold enough to discourage neighborhood kids from wanting to come jump on our trampoline. I don't let kids friends and neighborhood kids jump on the trampoline unless their parents have signed a release waiver and unless I am outside with them. Well, it is no longer pleasant to stand outside watching them jump in the freezing cold.

Speaking of freezing...

Yesterday morning, Ben went downstairs to discover that one of the kids (Mylie) had at some point in the night gone down for a snack and left the refrigerator and freezer doors wide open. All of the frozen food is ruined and all the deli meat and eggs and dairy products in the fridge are done for. Well, if there was an incentive to really empty and scrub the fridge and freezer this is it. I am frustrated by the waste, but at least we aren't dealing with a broken fridge and of all the freak accidents I could be dealing with right now, this is the one I would choose.

Ben has been really into the British series Dr Who lately. He discovered that they have several seasons of the series on netflix. So, each evening he watches several episodes before going to sleep. Dr Who is kind of like a campy version of X-Files meets Star Trek. I have had some very strange dreams this week as a result of Dr Who seeping into my subconscious.

I posted this little anecdote recently on facebook, but in case you have not yet chosen to be my facebook friend I will repeat it here for you:

Last week I took Zack and Mylie with me to Costco. We arrived at 11:30 and I was surprised to find in entirely closed. There were signs on the doors and I observed several people pull into the parking lot, get out of their cars, walk to the doors, read the signs and walk back to their cars. It was cold and I didn't want to get everyone out for nothing, so I was grateful when another customer pulled up alongside me to fill me in on what was going on.

She explained that there had been a transformer problem and the power company was inside working on restoring the power. However, their freezer and refrigerated sections were in bad shape (I can now relate) and water was on the ground and many items would need to be restocked. So, Costco would be closed for a few more hours while the staff worked on clean up and restocking.

As we drove away, Mylie asked me why we were leaving. Zack turned to her and said, "Didn't you hear that lady? Costco got attacked by transformers."

1 comment:

Heather and Dave said...

Hahaha - I didn't read that facebook story. I love it :) Too bad about the food waste :(