As I have mentioned, I have not been feeling that well lately. Maddie decided she could help me out by making dinner. We planned on having soup and bread. We had ham for Christmas dinner and wanted to use the leftovers for split-pea soup.
In the Ivory Family cookbook I had recently scanned past a recipe for Peasant Bread. My cousin Bethany recently gave it a rave review on her blog which was all the additional prodding I needed to give it a try. So, I gave Maddie the cookbook and monitored her ability to follow a recipe. We had a just in time discussion about the difference between tsp and tbsp.
She measured, poured, mixed, let rise, oiled a cookie sheet and dusted with corn meal, and split the dough, and let rise again. Then she baked and buttered and baked.
At the end of the process we had delicious hot homemade bread and a beaming ten year old who surprised herself with the success of it all. We did not, however, have split pea soup. When it was time to prepare the soup Maddie and I scoured the cupboards for the bag of split peas that I knew I put on the grocery list for Ben a few days ago. We gave Ben a call at the office and it was at that moment he remembered the item he had forgotten at the grocery store. So, it was a bit anticlimactic as we enjoyed our fresh homemade bread with Domino's 2 for Tuesday pizza deal.
But, based on how well Maddie did with the bread I am confident she could have made a delicious split pea soup...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
ooh very impressive! ive never made homemade bread! maybe she can give me some pointers!
I'm glad it turned out! I'll have to post my (Justin's) recipe for yummy minestrone. It doesn't require anything weird like split peas... :)
I love that recipe as well. Try it with garlic salt sprinkled on top and dip it in Oil and garlic that you put on the stove for an hour or so before its a huge hit. Tastes like the Macaroni Grills bread and oil. Love it. Way to go Madi. Cute wedding pictures as well. Hope you are feeling better.
Post a Comment